Sunday, November 22, 2009

Awesome Whole Wheat Bread


For awhile now I have been looking for a whole wheat bread recipe that only makes 2 loaves, as opposed to many I've found that make 5. I just didn't want to make that much at one time and didn't want to attempt halfing the recipe, because gauranteed I would mess something up. So, a few months ago I made my first attempt with a recipe I found online. Let's just say, it didn't turn out so well...too chewy, giant air bubbles, and the top totally deflated.

Well, recently my friend posted a recipe for whole wheat bread on her blog. She loved it, and it sounded more simple and less time consuming than other recipes I've seen, so I gave it a shot. It totally turned out SOO good! Since I found it on her blog, I thought I would put it on mine too. If you're looking for a delectable 100% whole wheat bread recipe, you should definitely try it!

~HONEY WHOLE WHEAT BREAD~

3 C. Whole wheat flour (I ground mine myself, but you can buy it at the store too)
1 TBSP Vital Wheat Gluten (I found it for pretty cheap at Walmart)
2 TBSP yeast (I use SAF-Instant yeast)
2 1/2 C. warm water

In a large mixing bowl (preferable KitchenAid or Bosch mixer), add the 3 cups flour, wheat gluten, and yeast. Stir. Add in warm water and stir until combined. Let sit for 10 minutes.

1/3 C. Canola/Vegetable oil
1/3 C. Honey
1 1/2 TBSP lemon juice (I used bottled)
1 TBSP salt
3 1/2-4 C. whole wheat flour

Mix the oil, honey, lemon juice, and salt in a small bowl. Add to the flour mixture after the 10 minutes. Mix until combined. Add in the additional flour and mix. Now knead the dough for 10 minutes with the dough hook. When it's done, divide the dough into 2 loaves, making sure they are even. Shape them into loaf form. Place the dough into 2 loaf pans that have been sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with a clean towel and let rise for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. After the loaves have risen, bake them for 30 minutes. They should be golden brown. Let cool before slicing, if you can wait:). You can freeze the loaves if you wish.

9 comments:

Emily said...

Yummy! Looks delicious!

kollers said...

Girl. . . you are such an amazing cook! That looks delicious!! Nice work Trace!

Janille said...

Good Job! I might have to give it a try too! I can't wait to see you in a few days!!

Kim said...

Tray that would be great if you want to bake some bread for when I come, just have some butter, and jam waiting with it :) j/k, but that does look pretty tasty.

Lindsay said...

Glad you liked it...looks like it was the recipe I found. :) We love this recipe

Angela said...

Nice job, Tracey....and thanks for the recipe! I am going to have to try that for sure! Looks delish!

Heather Coon said...

I'll have to try it! I agree with you, it would be nice to make just 2 loaves especially with a small family.

Hansen Family said...

Hey Tracey,
Thought I better send you my email while I was thinking about it. Good to see you today. Your wheat bread looks good. sarabeara_22@hotmail.com

Melanie said...

Your bread looks amazing, thanks for sharing the link! The recipe is almost exactly the same as mine, except for the lemon juice!