Wednesday, March 18, 2009

First Tooth!

So last week Alexis slept like a total rock star! I put her down and she slept all through the night, until like 7 a.m., even 8 a.m. one day, which was like a miracle. Well....apparently her body was gearing up for something... like... TEETH!
Those sleep-filled nights are now gone. For the past few days it has taken me at least 1-2 hours to get her to go to sleep, she has been CRAZY!!! Tonight I found out why. She was being SO crazy and kept biting on her hand, so I thought I better check her little mouth again. So after a nice struggle, I finally got her to open her mouth and VOILA!...there were 3 sharp little bumps just barely sticking up on her bottom gums! Her first tooth!!! I can't wait to see what she looks like with a toothy little grin.
I sure hope she gets a little better after this first one comes through. Honestly, the thought of her having teeth makes me a little nervous, particularly because she's still breastfeeding. EEK! On top of that, she's getting really into rolling around and will probably be crawling soon. Wow, so many milestones, all at once....we're definitely in for it. If anyone has any brilliant advice on caring for a teething child, and how to make her more comfortable, I would love to hear it!

8 comments:

Emily said...

I would love to hear myself! Congrats on finally teething!

Kellie said...

Teething tablets work great for Emma and they did pretty good for Megan and Jeremy. Last week one of Emma's teeth was finally cutting through all the way and she was having a really hard time sleeping. I gave her two teething tablets and she was asleep in one second. It was awesome.

Stacey Crandall said...

They have a baby numbing gel over the counter, like baby orajel. Works great. Also, freeze a teething toy or even a bagel and let her chomp on it. Feels good to them and the cold helps decrease inflammation. Good luck. As far as the nursing thing, It only take you screaming at her once for biting for them to understand that is not good and they stop... :)

Whittier said...

Yikes! Good luck with that. Don't worry about the teeth and breast feeding. I know very few women that have problems with it.

Syme Family said...

I'm so excited they are coming through. She'll be so cute with teeth. I sent you a really late birthday card. Have you got it yet? I wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday on your blog but our internet has been down for the last two days. It looks like you had a great day.

Janille said...

Good for Alexis! She is getting so BIG! I am with the earlier comment about teething tablets! THEY ARE WONDERFUL! Good Luck!

Paul, Cammie Jo, and Raegan said...

Raegan always runs a little fever with teething so I would use baby tylonel. It works great and really helped her get some sleep! As far as nursing and biting, I was told to tap their cheek or flick it as soon as they bite which sounds kind of harsh cause it will sting but that was my first reaction when it happened and it was the last time she ever bit. Good luck. It's all part of the fun experience!

Mercedes said...

Congratulations on that first tooth, Alexis! Both my kids did well with a really cold, wet (but wrung out) wash cloth. Freezing it makes it too hard, but taking it out before it's rock solid gets it nice and cold. Of course, my kids' first teeth come when they're 4 months old, so this may be moot. Baby Ibuprofen or Tylenol always made ME feel better when teeth were coming in!